INTERNATIONAL STUDENT APPLICATION INFORMATION
Frequently Asked Questions
The University of Utah Graduate School minimum scores for the TOEFL are 80 on the internet-based exam. However, our program requires students whose score is above 100 for the internet-based exam. Please send scores through ETS. (use Inst. Code 4853)
Yes. The University of Utah’s Graduate School IELTS minimum band score is 6.5.
The TOEFL test is valid for 2 years, and this test is required by the University of Utah. As such, the test needs to be valid at the time of admission by the University. Most often admission is granted between February and May.
You can, but you may submit those separately as soon as you know you are accepted. Do remember that financial support documents should be no older than 6 months at the time of the I-20 issuance. Please see HOW TO AVOID DELAYS IN YOUR I-20 ISSUANCE below. If you wish to submit those with the application, you’ll upload the information in the online application system. If you submit upon acceptance notice, then please email the documents to the International Admissions Office, email@example.com.
How to avoid delays in your i-20 issuance:
- I-20s will be issued after completion of document verification for authenticity by the International Admissions office. Parts of the verification process take place after you notify us that you will accept our offer. Your patience is appreciated as the time it takes to evaluate all documents, and the issuing of the I-20, varies from applicant to applicant. Following the instructions in these points will speed up the process.
- Ensure your passport accurately reflects your name. If you don’t have an actual surname, or given name, be aware that the SEVIS system requires a family name/surname, so please address this issue early. If you posses a passport without a surname your I-20 will be issued with your given name(s) listed as your surname. The first name field on the I-20 will be entered as FNU (First Name Unknown). An alternative is to contact your government passport agency to see if it is possible to apply for a name correction/adjustment to your passport by means of adding an addendum or possibly by re-issuing your passport.
- Financial support documents should be no older than 6 months old; these documents should include funds that can be made available at a moment's notice at the time of the I-20 issuance.
- Please make sure that you have enough money available in your accounts as the currency conversion rate can go down and affect your account balance at the time of the I-20 issuance.
- Only submit support documents requested. Note that the more documents you submit for financial support increases the time it takes to verify them.
- The name on the Affidavit of Support needs to exactly match the name on the bank statements, and please note that the affidavit must be completely filled out.
- Actively check your email so you can find out if we need additional information from you.
- Please email all your financial support documents and the bio-page of your passport to the International Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The sooner you submit the necessary documentation, the sooner you will receive your I-20. Remember you can submit these documents as a part of your online application if you would like to speed up the process.