Ashley ML Brown is an assistant professor in game user research, game user interface, and digital game design at EAE at the University of Utah. She completed her PhD at the University of Manchester in sociology in autumn 2013 before going on to teach and win awards at Brunel University London. She is the author of the book Sexuality in Role-Playing Games. Ashley is also on the board of directors for the Global Game Jam, the steering committee for the Games User Research and Experience SIG of the IGDA, and an Institutional Review Board member. In the past, Ashley volunteered as secretary for the Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA) 2014-2016 and was a founding member of the UK chapter of DiGRA. She is also mom to two rescue Belgian Malinois, Digby and Isabelle. When she’s not walking them, she Twitch streams Thinkaloud protocols at Twitch.tv/ashley_eae.
Courses Taught in Spring 2019
- EAE 2100, Introduction to Game Design, MW 2:45 – 2:48, ST 216
- EAE 4900-004, Special Topics, LS 111
- EAE 6001, Game Design, MW 2:45 – 2:48, ST 104
- EAE 6120, Game Projects II, BLDG 72 270
- Games User Research
- Learning and Training Techniques in VR
- Ph.D. in Social Sciences, The University of Manchester, 2013
- MA in Sociology, The University of Manchester, 2009
- BS in Sociology, Arizona State University, 2008
- Letter of Recognition for Outstanding Teaching, Dean of Engineering, University of Utah, 2018
- Higher Education Association Teaching Fellowship Certificate, Brunel University London, 2016
- Brunel Student-Led Teaching Excellence Award, Brunel University London, August 2014 – August 2015
- College of Business, Arts and Social Sciences Teaching Excellence Award, Brunel University London, August 2014 – August 2015
- Fartress of Solitude, engineer and producer, 2019.
- Spurp, UI artist and producer, 2018.
Books and Parts of Books
- Ashley Brown (2018). Salt Lake City, UT. Global Game Jam. Published, 11/13/2018.
- Ashley Brown & Jaakko Stenros (2018). Sexuality and Erotic in Role-Play. (pp. 425-439). Routledge. Published, 09/04/2018.
- Ashley Brown & Smith, Atwood, and McNair (2018). Sex and Videogames. Routledge. Published, 01/01/2018.
- Ashley Brown (2018). Sex in the Digital Age. Routledge. Published, 01/01/2018.
- Ashley Brown & Rafa Bidara (2017). Transactions of DiGRA. DiGRA. Published, 11/09/2017.
- Ashley Brown & Jaakko Stenros (2018). Adult Play: The Dirty Secret of Grown Ups. Games and Culture. 215-219. Published, 05/15/2018.
- Harviainen, J.; Brown, A. M. L. and Suominen, J. (2016) ‘Three Waves of Awkwardness: A Meta-Analysis of Sex in Game Studies’, Games and Culture, 11(3).