International Student Application Information
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Avoid Delays in Your I-20 Issuance:
- I-20s will be issued after completion of document verification for authenticity by the International Admissions office. Parts of the verification process take place after you notify us that you will accept our offer. Your patience is appreciated as the time it takes to evaluate all documents, and the issuing of the I-20, varies from applicant to applicant. Following the instructions in these points will speed up the process.
- Ensure your passport accurately reflects your name. If you don’t have an actual surname, or given name, be aware that the SEVIS system requires a family name/surname, so please address this issue early. If you posses a passport without a surname your I-20 will be issued with your given name(s) listed as your surname. The first name field on the I-20 will be entered as FNU (First Name Unknown). An alternative is to contact your government passport agency to see if it is possible to apply for a name correction/adjustment to your passport by means of adding an addendum or possibly by re-issuing your passport.
- Financial support documents should be no older than 6 months old; these documents should include funds that can be made available at a moment's notice at the time of the I-20 issuance.
- Please make sure that you have enough money available in your accounts as the currency conversion rate can go down and affect your account balance at the time of the I-20 issuance.
- Only submit support documents requested. Note that the more documents you submit for financial support increases the time it takes to verify them.
- The name on the Affidavit of Support needs to exactly match the name on the bank statements, and please note that the affidavit must be completely filled out.
- Actively check your email so you can find out if we need additional information from you.
- Please email all your financial support documents and the bio-page of your passport to the International Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The sooner you submit the necessary documentation, the sooner you will receive your I-20. Remember you can submit these documents as a part of your online application if you would like to speed up the process.