The Undergraduate Games Honors Program provides exceptional undergraduate students in games the opportunity to enhance their academic experience by doing research with faculty members and participating in extracurricular events with faculty and with other BSG Honors Program students. The BSG Honors degree can be completed within the credit hours required for the BS in Games.
Students who satisfy the requirements for the BSG Honors Program will receive the following:
- Opportunity to do mentored research in games.
- Special designation in EAE graduation programs.
- Designation on their academic transcript showing the fulfillment of the BS in Games Honors Program.
BS IN GAMES HONORS PROGRAM APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Students may apply for the BSG Honors Program if they meet the following requirements:
- Students must have obtained full-major status in their BS in Games degree.
- Students must have completed 24 credit hours designated by the honors college for honors.
- Students must have a minimum accumulated grade point average (GPA) of 3.50/4.00 at the University of Utah.
- Students must have a minimum BSG Major grade point average (GPA) of 3.50/4.00.
PROCESS FOR APPLICATION FOR THE BS IN GAMES HONORS PROGRAM
Students who wish to apply for the BSG Honors Program and meet the application requirements listed above should complete the Honors Thesis Proposal Form, indicating
- the proposed topic for scholarly research.
- the scope and character of the planned thesis artifact that meets EAE program requirements.
- the EAE faculty member who will serve as the thesis advisor and instructor of record for the student’s EAE4999 course.
- the signature of the identified thesis advisor and the EAE Honors Faculty Advisor (in EAE, this is the Director of Undergraduate Studies).
Upon approval of the form by the Director of Undergraduate Studies, the student will be able to obtain an access code allowing enrollment in EAE 4999.
BS IN GAMES HONORS PROGRAM COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
To successfully complete the BSG Honors Program, the student must:
- Complete three credit-hours of EAE 4999 (undergraduate research). An EAE faculty member must serve as the supervisor of this project course. Students find their own project supervisor, with the help of the EAE Director of Undergraduate Studies and EAE’s undergraduate advising, if desired.
- Complete of a scholarly artifact in fulfillment of the honors thesis requirement. See the EAE Guidelines for Honors Thesis Artifacts when planning this work.
- Complete the Honors Thesis Report form and obtain the signatures of the honors advisor, Director of Undergraduate Studies and Program Director indicating that the thesis fulfills program requirements.
- Graduate with a 3.5 overall GPA and a 3.5 GPA in Games.
- Present the thesis work at the University Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- File all completed documents with the Honors College by the last day of the semester in which the student will graduate.
The courses mentioned above apply toward fulfilling the university and department requirements for graduation; there is no difference in the total number of courses required for graduation for Games students who participate in the BSG Honors Program and those who do not.