Roger Altizer, Jr. is the co-founder of the Entertainment Arts and Engineering (EAE), the Director of Digital Medicine for the Center for Medical Innovation, the Director of The GApp lab (Therapeutic Games and Apps) at the University of Utah. Creator of The Design Box, a participatory, inductive design methodology, Roger strives to include users as designers and promote the power of playful as opposed to workful approaches to healthcare, learning, and social change.
Courses Taught in Spring 2019
On leave of absence for Spring 2019.
- Topic One
- Topic Two
- Topic Three
- Ph.D., 2012 University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT – Communication
- M.S., 2005 University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT – Communication
- B.A., 1997 Northwest College, Kirkland, WA – Religion & Philosophy
- Top Poster, New Media Consortium (2014) – Dino Lab
- Reynolds Lecturer (2014) – Mind, Body, Soul, a Grown-Up Conversation About Games
- Education Track Paper Award (2012) – IEEE Games Innovation Conference.
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Large Animal Veterinary Medicine, Executive Producer, 2012
- The Patient Empowerment Game (PE Game) (2014). Official Selection at the Blank Arcade at the Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA) Annual Conference, Snowbird, Utah, August 5, 2014
- Calorie Crawl Saga: The Candy Kings Cometh (2014), Developed during the 2014 Global Game Jam – Co-Developed with Jose Zagal – http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/calorie-crawl-saga-candy-kings-cometh
- Hoardzz Heros (2013). Xbox Live Indie Games, Microsoft.Game Makers Anonymous.
- Hoardzz (2012). Xbox Live Indie Games, Microsoft. Game Makers Anonymous.
- A Game With/Out Rules. (2013) Critical Art Game to be on display at the Leonardo.
- Bruggers, C., Altizer, R., Kessler, K., Caldwell, C., Coppersmith, K., Warner, L., Davies, B., Paterson, W., Wilcken, J., D’Ambrosio, T., German, M., Hanson, G., Gershan, L., Korenberg, J., Bulaj, G. (2012) Patient-Empowerment Interactive Technologies. Sci. Transl. Med. 4, 152 ps 16
Rausch, A., Altizer, R., & Parry, A. (2000), Gaikokugo Communication in an Intensive Course Format – Case Study Report and Recommendations. Crossroads, 2, Dec. 2000,41-61. (Japanese Education.
- Altizer, R., Zagal, J. P., (2015), Pitch Perfect or Exploring Pitching Practices in Industry and Games Education, 2014 Foundations of Digital Games Conference, April 3-7, 2014, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bills, P., Zagal J., Shipman, J, Moody, S. Larson, E., Bhavsar, S., Jarvis, C., Casucci, T., Rethlefsen, M., Lombardo, N, Altizer, R. (Under Review) (2015), “Saved Games: Librarians Levelling Up With Games For Health”, Submitted to Medical Library Association Annual Meeting and Exhibition (MLA ’15), May 15-20, Austin TX
- Zagal, J.P., Altizer, R. , Zeng-Treitler, Q., Shipman, J., Lake, E., Aiono, H., Malheiro, M., Christensen, C., (2014), “Doodle Health: Games as Cultural Probes”, Workshop on Entertainment in Serious Games and Entertaining Serious Purposes @ 13th International Conference on Entertainment Computing (ICEC), Sydney, Australia, September 30, 2014. pp 11-12
- Altizer, R., Zagal, J. P. (2014) “Designing Inside the Box or Pitching Practices in Industry and Education”, 2014 Digital Games Research Association Conference (DiGRA), August 3-6, Snowbird, UT
- Altizer, R., Zagal, J. P., (2014), Pitch Perfect or Exploring Pitching Practices in Industry and Games Education, 2014 Foundations of Digital Games Conference, April 3-7, 2014, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Zagal, J. P., Altizer, R. (2014), Examining ‘RPG Elements’: Systems of Character Progression, 2014 Foundations of Digital Games Conference, April 3-7, 2014, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Caldwell, C.; Bruggers, C.; Altizer, R.; Bulaj, G.; D’Ambrosio, T.; Kessler, R., Christiansen, B. (2013), The Intersection of Video Games and Patient Empowerment: Case Study of a Real World Application. IE’2013, September 30 – October 01 2013, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Caldwell, C., Kessler, R., Altizer, R., Van Langeveld, M. (2012), When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other. IEEE Games Innovation Conference 2012, Sept. 2012. (Article, published conference proceedings) – Education track, presentation award.
- Altizer, R., Anderson, M. (2011), Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules:” Legal Slight of Hand or Modders’ Bill of Rights? Presented at the Games Learning and Society conference 7.0, Madison, Wisconsin
- Kessler, R., van Langeveld, M., Altizer, R. (2009), Entertainment Arts and Engineering or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program. SIGCSE 2009, 4, Mar. 2009.(Article, published conference proceedings) http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1509049
- Kessler, B., van Langeveld, M., Altizer, R. (2009), Entertainment Arts and Engineering or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program Accepted for presentation at SIGSCE 2009 – Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Chattanooga, TN
- Altizer, R. (2004), The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Advancing the Sciences by Prosecuting Researchers. Paper presented at the National Communication Association Convention, Chicago, IL
- Consalvo, M, Paul, C., Waern, A., Altizer, R. (2014), FDG 2014 Pre-Conference Workshop, Teaching Game Studies: Course Post – Mortems & Advanced Syllabus Design, April 3-7, 2014
- Altizer, R. (2008), Roundtable on Professional Gamers. Presented at the Association of Internet Researchers conference 9.0, Copenhagen, Denmark